Saturday, June 19, 2010

Glorious Words from Spurgeon

I stopped cold in deep conviction at these words from the blog Faithfully Yours today. I could not refrain from sharing them.

Of course I see it now, why didn't I see this before? The analogy of Sarah's miracle Child in her feeble and aged body and the mystery of the miracle that Jesus resides in us on a daily basis. I am reminded again of how God takes the dead, the useless, the unusable and transforms it into life with honor and abundance.

Another gem from the Bible treasure chest. Spurgeon says it so well...

"It was far above the power of nature, and even contrary to its laws, that the aged Sarah should be honoured with a son; and even so it is beyond all ordinary rules that I, a poor, helpless, undone sinner, should find grace to bear about in my soul the indwelling Spirit of the Lord Jesus. I, who once despaired, as well I might, for my nature was as dry, and withered, and barren, and accursed as a howling wilderness, even I have been made to bring forth fruit unto holiness. Well may my mouth be filled with joyous laughter, because of the singular, surprising grace which I have received of the Lord, for I have found Jesus, the promised seed, and He is mine for ever. This day will I lift up psalms of triumph unto the Lord who has remembered my low estate, for “my heart rejoiceth in the Lord; mine horn is exalted in the Lord; my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies, because I rejoice in Thy salvation.” I would have all those that hear of my great deliverance from hell, and my most blessed visitation from on high, laugh for joy with me."
~Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening.

These many years later I can take pause and still rejoice with him in his salvation and mine. God is so very good.

Friends of mine had the occasion to have some work done in their home by a contractor who turned out to be Charles Spurgeon's descendant. This spiritual orphan had no idea that his ancestor was such an important man in the history of Christianity and he listened carefully to this Pentecostal Pastor tell him of the greatness of this spiritual giant. God is faithful to watch over our families throught the generations.

My "other" hobby genealogy has shown me this. When I do interviews and query those who do remember their ancestors they are always very quick to tell me (unsolicited) of the character of their family member. I have heard how they were "very religous", "carried their Bible," "were faithful church attenders" as well as, "they were mean", "scandalous" and a "scoundrel". Be very sure that the reputation of your spiritual health will live well beyond your physical years.

No comments: