Thursday, August 4, 2011

Follow the River and You Will Find the Sea


Today I have two similar cards.  Both of these cards are stamped with the same stamp (Gray Wolf Graphics, I think) and chalked with Pan Pastels with very different results.  Can you guess what the difference is?  I won't keep you in suspense, the first card is chalked on glossy card stock.  That was an amazing journey.  First I took some yellow and circled in the sun, that went well.  I like to start with yellow on my grass, so next I chalked up the yellow tall grass the little boy is sitting in.  Then I went to blend in the green over top, but the green just brushed right over the top and kept going right off the card.  I must have gotten some yellow across the bottom, although it was so light that I couldn't see it as it would not accept any chalk at all and looked perfectly white.  So, I just grabbed by Memento Dew Drop Dye and inked in some grass.  At that point I set it aside and planned to put it in the circular file.  The glossy cardstock does not have much "tooth" meaning it is a slick surface and not much sticks to it.  It seemed that if you put one layer of chalk on there, that was it, it was saturated and would not allow any blending of any more color.  I moved on to some plain card stock and created the scene with the puffy clouds.  Then I picked up the glossy card and decided to experiment some more.  I tore a paper towel's edge to create the cloud shapes and chalked across the edges creating the layered cloud look.  No problems with the blue going down on the cardstock, so I kept going and finished the card.  This was an interesting experiment with the Pan Pastels, in the end I actually liked the glossy card better.

5 comments:

Take care and STAY POSITIVE! Trena said...

Nice scenes Kathi! Same scene, yet your colors and layouts make them look really different. I especially dig the skies in both!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

Neet said...

If these had been in two separate posts I don't think I would have been drawn to one more than the other. I like both of them.
The top one is very subtle and I love the sun and the way it plays on the water. But ... I love the sky and the sand beneath the words on the second one.
Two beautiful cards - thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bobbie, I hadn't visited your site in a long time. It has really changed since I was last here. Your ideas are awesome!!! I won't wait so long to return

Kay

Bobbkat said...

Thanks, Kay. You made my day!

Rushd Lady said...

While the glossy card seems to be crisper, I was curious to know how you made the clouds on the second card? They seem more realistic to me.